Monday, December 26, 2011

Black


A smile played upon my lips.
The tablet in the chieftain’s hand
Held my name upon its face.
Today I was the chosen one
To take food to the demon.
To his cave of black and bones     
Wherefrom none ever returned .

Endless lines of carts filled with meat
Grain and fruit far as the eye could see
It would feed him for the year
He would let the village live in peace
For centuries the pact had held
A year's food , oxen and a man we'd send
To satisfy his craving for fresh meat

I said my last goodbyes,
Many tears many cried
Many blessed but not one prayed
For those who went never came again.
No weapon we were allowed
Least we stir the demon's wrath
And bring destruction upon us all.

But I was never one to go down
Without a bloody fight.
I'd built my own cart,
Poisoned sword and blades
Hidden out of sight.
I would kill him
Take him by surprise.

Crack of a whip, I was on my way.
Four days to journey, I took one less.
Slumbering I would catch the beast.
And put an end to his misery.
Abandoned the carts, as they carried on.         
Mile deep into his realm
He'd laid a trap, just as I’d thought

A fiery hammer crushed my cart
As the caravan stopped in the narrow path
The oxen panicked but they were stuck
A minion came out from the muck
To check the damage he had wrecked 
I made short work of him with my blade
He was dead before he could wail


My heart in my mouth, I entered the cave
My years of training all for this day
He would never rear his ugly head again
A shock greeted me as I entered the cave
The demon was stuffed, and hung from a nail
A book upon a table then disclosed
The minion had been the demon for fifty years.

The man from my village I’d just slain
Had lived my moment when he was my age
I closed my eyes in pained relief
The demon was gone, or was he?
I heaved the hammer back into the wall
A year before it would once more fall
A smile played upon my lips,
As I inspected my new place.

1 comment:

  1. For those who have read it before, I've always found a second read interesting.

    For those who haven't, these are words to a track, with music and everything.

    The narrative strays from a situation in the Mahabaharat. The story is all mine.

    Bon appetit.

    ReplyDelete